Grand Ledge District Library
The historic two story Grand Ledge Area District Library was constructed in 1930 and later expanded in 1961 with a one story addition to the north. The floor of the addition aligned with the lower level of the original building and relocated the library entrance which faces onto a public parking lot. Today, the library primarily operates out of this lower level with the upper floor of the original building used for library programming and Friends book sales. However, this upper floor space otherwise constitutes underutilized space in this relatively small library. The building has undergone minor upgrades since the addition was built, but the historic character-defining aspects of the original upper level reading room has generally been preserved and an exterior ramp provides barrier free access to this level from the original building’s entry.
Daniels and Zermack Architects was commissioned to provide complete architectural and interior design services to expand and renovate the Library located on a very tight site with limited expansion options and a modest budget. The scope includes adding an elevator to access the upper level and a new kitchenette and restrooms for the upper and main levels while maintaining the historic character of the interior of the original 1930’s reading room. The addition adds 1,325 sf to the existing 7,875 sf Library, including 750 sf of additional reading area on the main level, a new group study room, larger director’s office and expanded staff workroom. The project also includes HVAC and data upgrades. The addition to the West adjacent to the entry from the parking lot, creates a new updated image for this everyday entry to the library while maintaining the historic character of the original building from the street.
Completion Date: 2016
Project Cost: $850,000
Project Size/Scope: 1,325 sf addition, 2,500 sf renovation